Thursday, October 23, 2008

Fall Canning

So this year I had decided to can as much of what I grew as possible to see how long I could go with out buying out of season produce. That was the initial goal. Unfortunately I didn't get out to any farmers market to supplement my measly garden. Sigh...with the salsa I made previously my bounty wasn't too pathetic but I guess if I'd used smaller jars it would look like more.

The first batch was spaghetti sauce...boiled for many hours and then put into a blender. I prefer to blend it...that way I can leave the skins on the tomato's and plays to the days when I feel anti-vegetable.

I still will have another batch of something to make with the huge bowl of tomato's I have waiting to ripen...kinda a freebee batch as I just pulled my plants yesterday and found about 3-4 dozen tomato's on them..who woulda thunk it after all this cold weather?

The second batch was pureed pumpkin...not something I see myself using in vast quantities however after peeling an entire pumpkin for 1 pie I had a lot left over and needed to do something with it...so I canned it. We'll see what if anything I create with it.

I think next year I shall try making my own pickles...

1 comment:

froddard said...

I have a really good recipe for pumpkin bread that I make at least twice a month. I wonder if you could modify the recipe easily...

Pumpkin mixed with beans or chicken also makes a good burrito filling. Or spicy pumpkin soup. Mmmmm... pumpkin.